Lead Software Engineer (Cloud Team)
About Our Client:
Our client is changing the way people live and work in apartments.
They are building a reliable, secure, and ever-growing smart device platform that enables apartment residents to live in a smart home and owners and managers to improve the operational efficiency of their properties. Residents in our client's communities can control their locks, lights, thermostats and more from their mobile and voice apps, while managers use the web portal to reduce property-wide energy use, streamline access for maintenance workers, and limit the risk of floods and extreme temperature events. Their commitment to customer experience has helped them grow more than 20x the last three years, and they have raised more than $20M to achieve our vision. Our client's platform is being installed in over 200 communities across the country from Miami to Seattle, and major companies are trying to emulate their success. What they do is new, what they do is hard, and what they do is fun.
We are looking for a true technical leader with strong startup sensibilities. This is an opportunity to join an upstart team that has a demonstrated product-market fit and market penetration in more than 30 markets (as of November 2019) and growing. Here you can leverage your deep engineering experience in building an operating system for apartments that will touch people's lives in a meaningful way every single day.
- Build and own cloud services
- You will solve challenges like: efficiently reflecting and aggregating the state of thousands of devices, design flexible APIs to represent variable device control capabilities, integrate a wide range of (often real time) data sources, make the system that controls tens of thousands of homes and hundreds of buildings fault tolerant
- Work with gateway and mobile engineers to design APIs to deliver new products and features for our apartment buildings and our new IoT platform
- Ship clean, reliable, extensible code! Inform and advance our engineering's code best practices. Own your code from localhost to deployment to living a fault-tolerant, highly available life in production
- Cloud Platform - Deliver enhanced new features for our existing Apartment Cloud Platform that will position us as the apartment operating system. New features for managers include vacant unit scheduling (set lights/temperature is on autopilot), unique technical challenge, include scheduling for apartment renters
- New IoT Platform - Design and develop a new IoT platform and includes features such as device registration and permissions; platform will be multi-tenant and consumed by third parties. Examples: access controls parking garage apps (manage parking remotely w/out having attendants there), storage detection, hospital access
- Event Infrastructure - Enhance the event infrastructure back-end.
- You have formal experience as a technical leader or manager with direct reports, and you have a passion for not only developing software but developing people
- You have experience building and scaling applications, systems and organizations
- You have designed and built systems that rely on queueing systems like Kafka or Kinesis, relational databases, and databases of the non-relational persuasion
- You are fluent in at least two programming languages (preferably at least one that is strongly typed).
- You are genuinely passionate about technology. Maybe that comes in the form of keeping up to date with programming language and framework developers. Or maybe you have a passion project of your own, whether that comes in the form of an open source project, community involvement and mentorship, participating in meetups, or something else entirely.
As internet connected devices become ubiquitous and interwoven into our world, and our product focus has expanded to building a platform other device services can be built upon, our Research & Development's responsibility and mission has necessarily also expanded. Our mission is designed to empower every engineer to make decisions when building our platform. And we fundamentally believe that it is necessary to have a shared understanding of what is important as a team. The people we serve are always at the center of our missions.
We believe that we must take a strong stand on personal privacy
. IoT has the awesome and terrible potential to benefit humans while encroaching on our most sacred rights: privacy. We will never share personal information with a third party, and especially never to an advertiser. We remain committed to making an ongoing statement on the importance of privacy in a connected age, in the design of our products, how we integrate with third parties, and our statements as a corporation.
The hardware and software we build must enable all people to live more full lives
. It must benefit individual humans, either by making their jobs less laborious and more efficient, or making the way they live more convenient and pleasant. All kinds of people, from all origins live in apartments that we power, or interact with our connected devices, and many of them have disabilities. Our human focus nature puts accessibility in the forefront of our design and development.
We believe that personal security
is a critical aspect of enabling people to live more full lives. This is important enough to elevate to a central imperative for our R&D. In this mission, we consider the security of individual's digital identity and data alongside their physical security. Our product roadmap must always include steps to enhance both, and neither can ever be sacrificed for any reason.
JumpSearch is dedicated to connecting with the best talent and creating a great candidate experience. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity. Please know that due to the many talented individuals who apply we can only contact who are in consideration. If you are not contacted for the current role(s) for which you have applied, please rest assured that your resume will be considered for future opportunities.
Follow us on LinkedIn
, and Twitter
to stay current on trends and future opportunities. We look forward to working with you!